Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Bananas and garbage cans


The city enacted new garbage regs this week. Everyone now must use the official government-issued receptacles. So everyone is throwing away their perfectly good garbage cans, and I've collected a few for my garden.

The plan is to use them as a compost factory. I'll place compost materials into each can, then once per week I'll take an empty can and pour the compost from a full one into it. Then pour the next full one into the next empty one, and so on until they all get aerated. This should speed up the composting process and keep it all contained. My previous compost pile is just a pile. It has never been stirred, and I think the leaves from five years ago still haven't deteriorated. To make it worse, bamboo and vines have taken over. Cans will be better.

Janice has been on a home-grown babana binge. She suddenly has to have them. Well, the plants are expensive, so I posted a request online, and I now have two people offering to let me have some plants when they thin theirs. Free and edible!

I also placed an ad to get rid of the old canna bulbs. We never cared for them very much. I got one taker, so hopefully he'll come get them. The old canna bed will be the new vegetable bed. I think I'll grow potatoes there.

No comments: